Write-Up by Jeff Norton, History Teaching student, University of Utah
GPS: N 40 31.245 W 112 1.973
The Fort was named after Henry Herriman who helped establish the town of Herriman which is located is Salt Lake County, UT which is the southwest part of the county. The fort was originally established as protection against the Indians. It also served as a trading outpost the settlers. Constructed in 1851, covering about 2 ½ acres of land made from concrete. The fort had a river that ran down the south side. It also had many buildings in which you would find a school house, which served a dual purpose as a church and various residences as well. Originally constructed in 1851 and in 1853 the fort was reinforced with twenty other families that moved in to settle as well.
Under orders from Brigham Young the Fort was abandoned in 1858 upon the approach of Colonel Johnson’s Army. The settlers were instructed by the first Presidency of the LDS church to stay in the walls while Johnson’s Army was there. Some of the settlers stayed and others more a few years later and established the town of Herriman. The fort was named for Henry Herriman and Butterfield Canyon nearby for Thomas Butterfield, pioneers of this region.
When it was first vacated by the settlers after reassurance that Indians would no longer bother them they moved out. Present day there is nothing left of the fort. There is a fence poles between the marker. Other than the marker there is nothing left to remind anyone of the fort. It was torn down to and the land that the Fort sat on was turned into a development of houses. The rocks from the fort was used to build foundations for those houses.
 Utah State Historical Archives. (n.d.). A History of Herriman.
 See Attached Map
 Jenson, A. (n.d.). Herriman.
Jenson, A. (n.d.). Herriman.
Utah State Historical Archives. (n.d.). A History of Herriman.